Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Can my families cookbooks be considered my Heritage Literacy?

For generations my family has passed down cookbooks, these amazing guides to the wonderful flavors are a staple of our family. Rumsey states "Heritage literacy is an explanation of how people transfer literacy knowledge from generation to generation and how certain practices, tools, and concepts are adapted, adopted, or alienated from use, depending on the context"(571). I feel this is our heritage literacy. Some of these books have been in our family for years, the oldest being 50 years old. My mother has become a tremendous cook and learned well from her mother and grandmother. These are the only books I have ever seen my mother read. My mom is very illiterate when it comes to computers, but she will not hesitate to jump on Google and look up a recipe. My sisters do not yet cook, but help with the tradition of learning new recipes as well. They use their literacy skills in the form of texts. They sometimes will text their friends for their mother's recipe or text my grandmother for those constant reminders. At times all the women will gather around the kitchen during one of our many fiestas and help cook the same meal. They all read from the book and create a work of art. These same cookbooks have been now passed to my wife. I hope that she will pass them to my three girls in the future as well.


Rumsey, Suzanne Kesler. “Heritage Literacy: Adoption, Adaptation, and Alienation of Multimodal Literacy Tools.” CCC 60.3 (2009): 573-586.

1 comment:

  1. Dante,
    - still a bit short, for two reasons: it was indicated in the guidelines, and also because it is a pleasure to read your work and how you relate to your personal experience.
    + = well written and fascinating, good connections with the readings.

    B+

    ReplyDelete