Friday, October 16, 2009

Have I had an original argument in my writing?

In reading Kantz she states “many students misunderstand sources because they read them as stories”(78). This really hit a never with me because I felt that she was directly talking about me. When I first started this course this is exactly the way I read all kind of sources, I felt that I was great reader and could comprehend their ideas with no problems. When I tried to transfer this to my writings for my other classes I realized that I was merely summarizing my sources. I was not able to come up with my own unique perspective of the topic. I now understand what a original statement or argument means, to apply material to a problem or to use it to answer a question, rather than to repeat or re-evaluate it. I think that remembering this when writing is so far the most important rule I have learned in this course. It seems that I have not had a original argument, but just regurgitation of the topic. I was not taught enough about writing in school. Teachers could have realized once they read my writing that I was just summarizing. Could they have not introduced these theories prior to passing out the assignments, I feel that this should be mandatory. I am very excited to continue in this class, I would like to learn new techniques and be able to excite them while I write my assignments.

Helping Students Use Textual Sources Persuasively, Margaret Kantz, College English, Vol. 52, No.1 (Jan., 1990). pp.74-91

Everyone who revised my Q/R all agreed, I feel that they are falling into same routine. I received the same comments from two different students.

1 comment:

  1. Dante,
    - : maybe a bit short.
    += very good reflection and analysis, good example of personal experience.

    B+

    ReplyDelete