Thursday, October 8, 2009

Revision is it really that important?

Throughout my learning experience I was never taught why revision is a important subject in writing. I was never given the logic behind revising one's writing. As a young writer I always wrote the way I would if I was speaking, after reading this article I now understand that this is impossible. Sommers states "the absence of research on revision, then, is a function of a theory of writing which makes revision both superfluous and redundant, a theory which does not distinguish between writing and speech (379). When asked to revise a peers writing the process was a simple one. I would read quickly through the text and review and agree with all the points that the writer was trying to express. The writer would usually leave wither the sense of accomplishment, when they really didn't accomplish anything. I was doing my peers a tremendous disservice my not really giving a proper critique. In just a short amount of time in this course I have learned that my writing has so much more to improve and the biggest factor that I have been neglecting is revision. Students need to understand how important this theory about revision.

1 comment:

  1. Dante

    + = I like your question and the honest response you give using your own experience.

    ?= i'm a bit confused by your example, because i think you talk about peer review, whereas the article was about revising your own draft.

    grade B-

    ReplyDelete